17-40 L and ye ole brick wall
I was deciding between 2 good candidates, the Sigma 15-30, and the Canon 17-40 L. Both are very good lenses, but I went with the Canon because of its smaller size and better construction (no exposed moving parts) . At the time, I was also under the impression that the 17-40 L was sharper--I think they are equally sharp now, though. My first copy of the 17-40 L was horrible! It was soft everywhere except at 40mm! I was very disappointed. I sent it back and got myself a second copy. It appears to be better--but still softer than I'd hoped. After some mucking around, it appears to be a focus problem, and if I focus when zoomed in at 40mm, and recompose back to 17mm, then things are pretty sharp. Here are some hand-held test shots I took with the requisite brick wall. The shutter speed was much faster than 1/500 (ISO 100) on all these shots.
Click on the pictures to see the full-size crops.
| Upper left-hand corner | Middle |
Links about the 17-40 L

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home